Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

I have never been at all political. When I see someone on the street trying to rally support for someone or something, I steer clear. My total knowledge of how the White House functions is courtesy of Aaron Sorkin. And I don't think I could actually tell you the names of both Missouri senators and the govenor. (I might get one or two out of the three, but that would be sheer luck.)

I am not at all patriotic. The last time I waved a flag I was probably ten. During the one week out of the year that my class learned about the Pledge of Allegiance, I had to dig a crumpled flag out of the filing cabinet. And if I ever wear red, white, and blue, it is by accident.

But today, Inauguration Day, I actually thought that I wouldn't mind having a little American flag on my person somewhere. (Obama was inauguated at 3:30 am Sydney time, so I consider today Inauguration Day, even though it is the 21st.) I went into the city this morning, and on every newspaper at every store the front page had photos of Obama being sworn in, the Oath of Office, and quotes from his speech. I walked around grinning like mad, often with tears running down my face. No one approached me, but I'm sure they all thought I was a bit off my rocker. But if I'd had a little flag or sign saying "I'm an American" they might have understood. People all over the world, I can tell you with first-hand knowledge, are thrilled with today.

The inauguration was being rebroadcast here at 12:30 pm, so I cut my touristing short for the day, and headed back to where I am staying (via a bakery to buy some apple pie, which was the closest thing I could think of as being patriotic. It did have rhubarb in it, though, for I clearly am not in America). I have never watched an inauguration before. Sure, I probably was actually working during previous inaugurations, but I wouldn't have cared to watch them anyway. But this one I wanted to see. I had my pie and my tissues (it was a two-tissue event), and I was ready.

I never understood the mania around JFK, why people were so crazy about him, why there are JFK memorials literally all over the world, but now I think I might get it. Even abroad, Obama-mania is sweeping through.

In my travels, I've never shirked my nationality, but neither have I broadcast it. But today I would. It is a good day to be an American, wherever you are.

No comments: