Sunday, January 11, 2009

Divided by a common language

Some famous person (whose name I should probably remember, and could quite easily look up, but I don't feel like it) said something to the effect that England and America are two countries divided by a common language.  That may well be true.  But if so, then what the hell is Australia????

Previously I mentioned finding a bogun with whom to go hooning.  Some of you I am sure got a little excited by this prospect (not having any idea of what it was, exactly).  Well, don't.  First of all, a bogun most likely has never uttered the phrase "with whom".  I don't know if there is an exact translation for bogun beyond (the terribly un-PC) white trash.  Boguns would be very at home in Hampton Beach.  'Nuff said (to NH folks).  Hoons (a noun, also used as the verb, to hoon) appears to be folks who like to drag race (a big overlap with boguns, I believe) or the act of drag racing and doing donuts and just generally screwing around with one's car.  (Which, if you are a bogun, is most likely a mettalic lime green ute-- that half car, half truck thing.)

Now, bringing England back into the picture, I don't think I ever wrote about the fact that I apparently was quite ill when I was in England.  Whenever I met or walked by someone I knew, they asked me if I was all right.  It took me about a week of being a bit concerned that I was looking pallid (which I probably was, as all the blood had left my extremities and was desperately trying to keep my vital organs warm in that freezing climate) before I realized that it was simply their greeting, their version of our "How're you doing?" or, even better, " 'Sup?".  In Australia they have changed this again, and they inquire as to how I am going.  What?   What do you mean, "How am I going?"?  By car?  By foot?  By you?  Of course, upon reflection, "How are you doing?" is just as inane, and "'sup" is just ridiculous, but at least I know the appropriate responses.  ("Fine, thanks" and "Nommuch... 'Sup wid chu?")  At the hostel the other day the Aussie guy in reception asked how I was going, and I responded, "I am going well... If that makes any sense."

My favorite thing to do while driving around SW Australia (when not busy wondering at YET ANOTHER lime green vehicle) was to look at the names of roads and places.  I like playing Scrabble quite a bit, and sometimes am even good at it, but there are times when my tray of tiles looks a bit daunting, and I ask if manjimup might not be a word.  Or boodjidup.  Or wonthaggi.  The answer is yes, but they are proper nouns, so they don't count.  Here are a few more of my favorite place names.  (Bonus points to anyone who can actually rearrange any of them into something that looks like a real word.)  Yalgorup, Nannup, Myalgelup, Gnarabup, Tjukayilta, Boyanup.  (And, in case you are wondering, I think that these are all Aboriginal names.)

No comments: