Monday, January 26, 2009

Final Oz Thoughts

Yesterday I clicked my heels together or got into the hot air balloon and came back over the rainbow, away from Oz. It was a nice 5 weeks, and by the end I didn't even notice their funny accents. Here is an assortment of random thoughts and observations I had while there that didn't make their way into any previous Oz blogs (or at least I don't think they did).

In wandering around some art museum in Melbourne, I glimpsed an Aussie standing in the next room, without shirt or shoes, and actually just in his tighty-whities. Given that they didn't seem to wear shoes that much, I wasn't really terribly surprised. Upon looking at the man properly, I discovered that he was actually a sculpture.

Given how hot the country is, the people in Western Australia seem to keep dogs with ridiculously thick coats.

The Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology has its alumni courtyard in the Old Gaol Hospital Compound. What does that say about how you view your alums?

After being in countries where they drive on the wrong side of the road for four months now, I have almost got it figured out. I look the correct way when crossing a street, but I do get awfully surprised when I see a 10 year old in the driver's seat.

I can't remember now what it was apropos of, but I saw a sign somewhere that read "STD calls". I can hear it now, "Um, mom? I have something I need to tell you..."

For whatever reason, my cousin's child (just turned 3), decided that my name was Chloe. I get Julie and Susie a lot, and even Jane once, but this is new.

The house I was staying in in Sydney, with the lovely old lady, smelled just like my house. I couldn't pin it down at first, until I pulled a book off the shelf and was hit with it. It smelled like old books. Old books and woolen blankets (mothballs). It was great.

At the North Sydney Community Center, one of the Adult Health classes that they offered was "Hoolahoops". That would have been fun to watch!

Australian possums are WAY cuter than American opossums. WAY!

I misread a sign, thinking at first it said "Home Lessons." The I reread it and wondered what "Home Lessness" was. Of course, it said "Homelessness".

I was on the bus one day and there were two boys (aged maybe 6 and 10) sitting at the back. They were chanting "Grey matter! Grey matter!" for some reason. At one point, the younger one said, "If I up-chuck..." which elicited a worried look from the guy sitting directly in front of him, who promptly switched seats. The kid followed.

More than once I saw someone jogging with goggles around his or her neck. Always ready for a swim!

The Sydney Airport played the best collection of 80's sing-along music. Call Me, Fame, Sweet Dreams. At least I think it was supposed to be sing-along.........

I finally put up pictures on my Sydney post, by the way.

I hope you enjoyed Australia as much as I did!

No comments: