Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pass the Parcel Tour

When I was staying in New Plymouth with one of my aunt's former students (or the sister thereof), I was told that I am on a "pass the parcel" tour. I would be the parcel, being shipped from person to person. With one sister in New Plymouth (which supposedly has a beautiful Fuji-esque volcano near it, but I sure didn't see it with all the clouds), a night at a hostel in Waitomo Caves (where I got to see glowworms galore, which were pretty cool), another sister in Hamilton, and she dropped me off today with the brother of one of the parents from the school where I teach. Taught. I wish I could say that I had a lovely collection of stamps on my forehead (or my backpack) from all the passing of the parcel, but alas not. The only thing you might be able to see is the result of all the meals I've been fed. (THREE a day! I don't eat that at home.)

New Plymouth, despite the fact that the mountain was hiding, was lovely. We went for a walk through the lush city park one day, and the next day we headed out of town a bit to the Rhododendron gardens. I do like plants and walking, so I was quite happy.

The Waitomo Caves experience threatened to be pretty beastly at first. It was one of those days where I awoke with a black cloud hovering over my head, and things didn't seem to be going my way all day. The bus dropped me off miles from anywhere. The cafe where I was told I could call for a pick-up was closed. The hostel that I'd booked at was no longer a YHA, so I got no discount. The kitchen of the hostel didn't even have glasses in it. (You had to put down a $10 deposit for cutlery. Bugger that, I have a water bottle.) But the next day I awoke, and, despite the fact that it was absolutely peeing with rain outside, the black cloud had disappeared and all was well. I walked down to the glowworm cave, handed over ridiculous amounts of money for a 45 minute tour of the cave (the only way you could get in), and I got to experience the magical place. (Glowworms are the larva of some fly, which glow to dupe other bugs--quite possibly their cousins-- into flying into their snares and eaten.) The glowworm cavern was like looking at the stars in the sky from a Phantom-of-the-Opera type boat ride. Loved it!

I am now in Hamilton, the fourth largest city in NZ. It's not an overwhelmingly exciting city, but that's okay. Probably like visiting Des Moines. It has it's charm if you look for it. (No, I've not been to Des Moines. Or Iowa. Too many republicans there. (That's for you, Eric.)) There's a river I may go wander along, and this evening I'll be going to see The Taming of the Shrew in the park. Again. I saw it with my hostess last night, but the parcel has been passed today and my new hosts have that on their agenda for tonight, so I told a little fib and said No, I'd not been to anything at the festival, and off we will go. Unless it rains. Although today looks like the first day that it is NOT going to rain! Of course.

Tomorrow I get passed along again to points East.

No comments: