Thursday, November 27, 2008

Monkey Lessons

We are having the afternoon off from monkey chasing down on the coast of Kenya, so I have a few minutes at a cyber cafe. (One of the other Earthwatch members was sorely disappointed that there was no food or drink at this so-called Cafe.) I'll write more details later, but after four days here, I wanted to share a few lessons I've learned in regards to monkeys, the coast, and the team.

1. Do not stand directly underneath a monkey in a tree. You never know what gravity will bring down upon you. (I learned this by seeing some else get peed on, not first hand.)

2. The blustering Englishman as depicted in movies bobbing and diving and swatting when a bee comes around is not a charicature. He's real. There are two of him on my trip.

3. It's hot here. Damn hot. Like Africa hot.

4. When I have five days' worth of sweat, salt water, and dirt in my hair, I look rather like Medusa in the mornings. (And I always thought I had straight hair.)

5. The world is insanely small. There is a kid staying at the same place we are who will have one of my friends as his professor next term when he goes home.

Must dash. More later.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Miss you, Lucie! Love reading the blog.
- Caroline