Friday, December 5, 2008

Travails

Well, here is the travails part of "Lucie's travels (and travails?)". I was completely oblivious to everything going on in the world (as opposed to my normal state of obliviousness) for quite a while, being in the middle of nowhere in Africa with no internet or newspaper, when one day we got to go to an internet cafe. I had a somewhat panicked message from a contact in Bangkok, saying she was sure I knew about the situation there and it was really quite serious and would I still be coming?

Um, what???

A few quick emails to my brother assured me it wasn't so bad there. Six days later I finally got to see a newspaper, and looked immediately to see what the situation was. Protesters had taken over the airports, and Thailand appeared to be closed until December 15th.

Um, WHAT??????

I actually remained surprisingly calm, for really, what could I do about it? I called the travel agent and left a message, and got a call back saying that the airline still had my flight scheduled, and they expected the airport to be open by then.

In line at the Mombasa train station last night, there was an Aussie in front of me who was talking to my same airline, and they said all was well, so I relaxed. Good thing I didn't chuck the Thailand guidebook and buy a Viet Nam one (which was about to become Plan B).

So I guess it isn't really a travail yet. It's all one big adventure!

(By the way, again, don't tell my mother! I am, of course, assuming she can't figure out how to actually read my blog...)

No comments: