Thursday, November 6, 2008

Paris, Day 1

I wandered around Paris today for about 10 hours. It was good, but I had no one to talk to or share my witty comments with, so I will do so now with you. Anything in italics is the running commentary I had going on with myself. Warning, there is likely to be some mild swearing therein.

After a lovely breakfast with my hostess (around 9... I left her a note changing the time, and just told her 8:30 for tomorrow. She looked disappointed, so I assume she is a morning person), I threw my camera, my map, and a lot of euros into my bag, donned my Euro-coat, and hit the pavement. I am staying in Neuilly-sur-Seine, a swanky suburb to the west of Paris. There is a big park near here, so I decided to walk through that towards the Eiffel Tower. This Jardin isn't quite what I expected. Much rougher. Kind of like the woods of Forest Park... That woman isn't wearing very many clothes. Neither is her friend joining her. I thought this was a nice area of town... That woman-- wait, I think it's a man-- getting out of that van isn't wearing many clothes either, and I can see the top of her/his stockings. Where AM I???... It smells a bit like urine... It smells a lot like urine.... Is there a ZOO around here somewhere???... Oh, there's the steaming pile of hay.

Flash forward about 20 minutes, still in the park. Where is that damned tower? I can't see it anywhere. I guess I'll keep going a bit further before I cut over to the little back roads. Another 10 minutes. Okay, where the hell am I? I can't find this little road on my map. I just passed the Italian Embassy... That's a pretty trellis in someone's garden, I'll go check it out... Ooops, that's the Iraqi Embassy. Another 10 minutes, map in hand. How did I get all the way down here? Back-tracking about a mile. No wonder I couldn't see the Eiffel Tower. It is the Eiffel Stump today!

I wandered around the tower (but am saving going up it until it isn't in cloud cover), then headed to the new Musee de Quai Branley (Primitive Art, which they call something like art of the First People). The art was okay, the building was totally cool. There was one object though... What the frig is that? It looks like something from a Dr. Seuss book as interpreted by Terry Gilliam!

From there I went to a chocolatier (it was on my path!), then found some lunch, before heading to the Musee d'Orsay. I thought this was a sidewalk! What the hell is that scooter doing trying to run me over? The museum was nice, until I found the Art Nouveau room, and then it became fantastic. Oh my god, I love this room. I want to live in this room. Who would give up this room to a museum?? I wonder if Dickie can make me this room.

At this point I was getting kind of tired, so decided I needed a hot chocolate. FOUR euros for a freaking hot chocolate???? This better be the best damned hot chocolate I've ever had. I also stopped in at another chocolatier. As it is right here, I might as well stop in and get a few bonbons to compare it to the first place. I continued wandering around various small streets These streets are boring. There is nothing here. Oh wait, I appear to have come across the changing of the guard until I finally came into the Latin Quarter, which seems to be the (window)shopping district. And then something happened to the solidity of the window. Oooh, that is a cute pair of gloves. My hands have been cold... Ooooh, look at that hat. I'll just try it on. I'll just try on all the hats. I'll just try that first one on again. I do have a birthday coming up, and I haven't spent much money (except on chocolate, but no one can prove that I got any chocolate as it is all gone now). And I have been wearing my red apple hat for about 12 years. Maybe I should pretend to be a grown-up.

One new hat on head, I walked out the door. Okay, no more shopping now. I've spent far too much money today, plus look at that. Is that Ben and Jerry's? And there's Old Navy? My shopping time obviously has come to an end-- Oooh, another chocolatier! At that chocolate shop I decided to be abstemious, and only get one chocolate. The guy smiled and handed it to me (no little glacene baggy this time), and said, "On the house." Free chocolate?? This city ROCKS!

I walked on some more, and happened across a (presumable very chic) bridal boutique. Oh my god, if Paris is about 5 years ahead of us in fashion, I can't wait to go to a wedding in 5 years! Seriously, I want to get married, just so I can go in there and try things on... I'd totally get THAT one... And THAT would be my bridesmaid's dress!!!


Past Notre Dame, onto the Ile de Saint Louis I'm home! and to the ice cream shop that was recommended to me by two people If TWO people recommend it, I obviously have to go. Bummer, it is closed. Just going to have to come back tomorrow.

Now it is about 8 pm, and I am beat, so I find the Metro and start home. That 20-something blond woman appears to be American. I'll stare at her for a while... Wow, honey, you afraid of those boobs falling out???? Good god, save some surpises for later! Oh, wait, it's okay, as the old guy with his arm around your waist seems to have his shirt unbuttoned to about the same level.

Maybe tomorrow I'll bring my phone with me, so I can actually have a conversation with someone rather than relying upon entertaining myself. (It could be a loooooooong year!)

No comments: