Sunday, December 21, 2008

OZ

I flew over the rainbow yesterday, and was so happy to land in Australia. It was a bit rough going at first... I dutifully set my watch alarm for 3:30 am (!) so that I could catch the 4 am shuttle to the airport, as Thai Airways said I need to be there three hours before my flight. I shoved my earplugs in, put a pillow over my head, and went to bed at 8:30. Usually, when I have to wake up early, I sleep very lightly and check my watch constantly. Apparently, I was quite relaxed, for I slept quite soundly until... 4:24. I checked my watch, saw the time, and a deep and disbelieving, "Nooooooooooooooooo..." came out of my mouth as I dashed to the bathroom. I caught the 5 am shuttle, and waited behind one other person in line at the airport, and had an hour to spare still. (THREE hours ahead? What were they thinking??) I walked around trying to see if I could spent my last 16 Baht (about 40 cents) on anything, but no. So I left it for some child to find and be excited about.

The flight was fine, although I think the cabin air or altitude or something got to me. Not only did I watch Beverly Hills Chihuahua, but I actually got teary at parts. Good god, what have come to?? (The second movie, Bottle Shock, was much better. All about wine. But, to my credit, Placido Domingo--or his voice-- was in the first movie, so I can at least pretend in some weird way that it was cultured, although he didn't sing.)

My friend Cate's husband (whom I've never met, and who had no idea what I looked like... just like all the other people I've imposed myself upon this year) collected me from the airport, holding a little piece of paper with my name on it. Hell, I would have gone home with anyone, but was pleased to find him.

I arrived at their house in the middle of a little backyard party that Cate was giving (it was the first day of summer here, remember). Ah, I was in my element! I threw my bags in my room, donned an apron, and started making guacamole. Life was good again.

(Right now I am listening to a sound that I never thought I would be so happy to hear: the deep rumble and squeaky breaks of a garbage truck. Ah, infrastructure, you are a glorious thing.)

I am very much looking forward to three weeks of living a relatively normal life, breathing clean air, not fearing that every mosquito carries some horrible disease, and perhaps even going to the beach (every day). They may talk a bit funny down here, but life is grand in OZ.

No comments: