Saturday, October 18, 2008

English Food

I don't know why the British have a reputation for dubious food. Bangers and Mash, Toad in the Hole, Bubble and Squeak... How can a country that gives you these have that reputation? Well, there was the morning that my hostess was making French Toast and reached not for cinnamon and sugar, but for salt and pepper and parsley. That was a bit of a shock.

I made myself some proper French Toast this morning, but they don't seem to have syrup (maple or corn) here, so I had to make due with Nutella. Life is rough. With my breakfast I decided to have some milk, which gets delivered by the milkman in glass bottles left on the step in the morning. So civilized! I particularly enjoyed starting to pour the milk, but it not coming out because there was a lovely little cap of cream on the top. Mmmmmmm, cream......

My cousin, upon finding out that I have not (that I can remember) eaten pheasant, partridge, venison, or game of any kind, decided to make it her mission to make me a more well-rounded eater. The venison (cooked with slabs of bacon atop) was lovely. I left before getting any of the birds, alas.

When in Scotland this past week I decided to try the local fare and have a Scottish pie from a little bakery. I knew this would be meat not sweet, so that wasn't a surprise. But I have to say it was about the most disgusting thing that I have ever eaten half of. Ground meat of some (or every) sort which was fatty and mushy and salty. The day was not a culinary failure, though, for that evening I ordered sticky toffee pudding for dessert. As that is one of my favorite desserts at home, I had high expectations and was delighted that it was exactly the same as the pudding at the Tap Room in St. Louis. Whew!

I have definitely figured out the English affinity for tea. It has nothing to do with the taste, I'm sure. It has to do with being able to turn the stove on, and then having something warm to hold in one's hands. I've never said yes to so many cups of tea in my life! I think I might have to go get one now, as my toes are numb and my nose is dripping. Then maybe I'll go in search of some pickled eggs for lunch.

No comments: