Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Up, up, and away!

I have arrived in London after a slightly inauspicious start to my trip. When I got to JKF yesterday afternoon (after squeaking in one more dance class at Alvin Ailey), I saw on the board that my flight had been cancelled. Bummer. So, after checking my EIGHTY pounds of luggage (much of that weight was gifts for people here... I hope!), I had a few extra hours of wandering the airport before I got on a later flight. I did, however, get to have a celebrity sighting in that time. I was sitting in the airport shuttle across from the British actor Dominic something (I saw him in The History Boys, but I know he's been in something more recently), who was on his cell phone complaining that his flight to London had been cancelled. (Somehow, I don't think he would have been sitting back in steerage with me.)

I checked out the old TWA terminal designed by Eero Saarinen (if you're from St. Louis or you do the puzzle a lot, you know who he is), then I killed an hour by slowly sipping a glass of wine at a lovely wine bar and doing the puzzle which I had saved. (Not sure if the wine made it easier or harder.) My flight was uneventful, but alas the audio didn't work on my little TV screen, so I watched, but didn't hear, most of the Sex in the City movie. Not surprisingly, it was actually remarkable easy to follow. (I could have just called Erin, my brother's girlfriend, to have her recite it to me.)

Now I am at my cousin's house in London, wrestling with staying awake, and the fact that some of the keys on the keyboard are in the wrong place. (Not sure why the @ and " needed to be reversed on this side of the pond.) Maybe it will all make sense after a nice nap. It is grey and rainy (it is England, after all), which is perfect sleeping weather.

My Gap Year has now begun for real!

No comments: