Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday in NYC

I went over to Alvin Ailey this morning to take a class on Horton technique. Luckily I got there nice and early, so when I realized that every single person in the previous class was wearing a black leotard and black tights, I had time to nip back to Tommy's apartment and change out of my green top and black pants. I didn't want to stand out more than I knew I already would!

The class was good, although I did have a moment right before it started of wondering "What am I doing here????" There were about 30 people in the class, the majority of them 18-23 year old Ailey School students. Luckily, I have plenty of experience taking dance classes with teenagers.

I think I faked my way through the class pretty well, which was impressive given that half of the class the instructor didn't show us what to do. In fact, the class simply started with, "Let's begin" and everyone started doing their thing. I was, of course, hugging the back wall of the studio so I could see what everyone else was doing and no one could see me, which worked pretty well until one combination where we turned to face the back wall, and then suddenly I was in the front. Yarg!

After class I wandered around the city a bit. Wouldn't you know it, I come all the way to NYC, and where do end up spending all of my money? At a Farmers' Market I came across. I guess some things will never change.

Off to Times Square tonight to watch the opening gala for the Metropolitan Opera. I had hoped to go to the real show with Tommy the Wig, but he's working the show, so I'm going to put on my black gown and go to Times Square to watch it there. The good news is that he's being interviewed before the curtain goes up. Go Tommy! (No, I'm not really going to wear my gown to Times Square, despite Justin's suggestion that I should. I wouldn't want to make all the other folks feel under dressed, you know.)

No comments: