Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What Next?

The question I keep being asked (and which I ask myself periodically) is "What next?" Well, I'm heading to Maine this weekend, and then to New Hampshire soon for the summer, but I don't think that is what people mean.

I'm not sure what is next. I've been subbing the last few days in first grade (my old job), which has been loads of fun, and so normal and natural to fall back into. I would like to come back and teach next year (I've even managed to get up at a reasonable hour and not be any grumpier than I normally am, even after not having to do so for a year!), but, alas, it doesn't look like there will be any jobs available here. I could get my resume together and apply elsewhere, but a) this school really is great and b) I don't feel like it.

So my plan is to 1) go to Maine for the weekend and have a blast, 2) go to New Hampshire for the summer and have more of a blast, and 3) wait and see what I feel like doing. Maybe I'll want to stay in NH until it gets cold (is that September 3rd or 4th?). Maybe I'll want to do construction work for one of my brothers or whatever financial finagling the other brother might be getting up to (still not really sure what he does). Maybe I'll come back to St. Louis and be a permanent sub. (No lesson plans-- good. Always having lunch duty-- bad.) Maybe I'll volunteer a lot.

I figure I'll either be happy with whatever bits and bats I am doing or I'll become so bored that I will have some impetus to organize a resume. I won't be homeless and I won't be starving, so I don't really have any worries except for my mental well-being. (Which sometimes can be quite worrisome, but that is a whole different story!) In fact, my biggest worry at the moment is what the weather will be like in Maine and what I should pack.

In the mean time, if anybody magically has a job for me, I'm happy to entertain offers! (Does this count as networking? It feels kind of like a debutante party, only there it is basically saying "I am now ready to entertain offers of marriage," which, by the way, I may or may not be ready to entertain, depending on who's offering....)

No comments: