Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Costa Rica Service Trip

I knew that the service trip in Costa Rica would totally pale in comparison to that which I just did in Guatemala, but, three days in, I have to say that so far it pretty much sucks.

Granted, I didn't do a whole lot of research on the internet (being someone who can spend WAY too long mulling things over in her mind, but having limited time between deciding I wanted to do a service trip in CR and actually arriving here), but I will have quite a few things to put on the evaluation at the end. I was heartened when I met some folks in Antigua who had actually heard of the organization (called i-to-i), but it's gone downhill from there. It apparently is almost exclusively geared towards young adults, for there was way too much coddling going on during the orientation.

Yes, everyone else in the room was 18-23 years old and on their first trip, but come on, how many times to I need to be told that I can call them any time I might want, and that I should take a shower each day (well actually, I probably should be told that). But I could handle all of that, no matter how ridiculous it seemed, because I do appreciate that others might have needed it.

What I am not particularly appreciative of, though, is that, unlike the three other service trips I've been on this year, this seems to be more of a middle-man for volunteer organizations, and I'm working for some Costa Rican/Canadian group (although I haven't seen any Canadians yet). Okay, whatever. But here's the kicker. I am the only freaking volunteer. Today there were four other volunteers, but it was their last day. All of them. So this week (which actually only consists of one more day because of Holy Week, which is another big issue I have... if I had known that sooner than yesterday, maybe I would have booked for a different week, or at least been able to look into what I want to do with my four day weekend when ALL of Costa Rica will be going on vacation and oh, the buses don't run on Thurdsay or Friday, so I'll be stuck in Costa Rica's version of Creve Coeur-- I'm actually at the mall right now) and next week I will be toiling away by myself and with whatever the local crew might be (today it was two guys). Well, I guess my Spanish will be much improved by the end of it, so if you need to know how to say, "How many scoops of concrete would you like in the wheelbarrow," just let me know.

I'm not impressed with Costa Rica thus far, no matter how much other people love it. I think I need to head into the grocery store behind me and stock up on copious amounts of chocolate (which clearly I am in need of) before it shuts for the long weekend. (I did buy myself three books in English yesterday, so that should get me through the weekend if all else fails.)

No comments: