Tuesday, June 3, 2008

"cherish the journey."

"cherish the journey" is written across the front of my t-shirt today. I wore it quite intentionally, as this is my last official day of first grade after ten years. I've never been one to strike out on my own into unknown territory. If I was marking my own progress report, next to "Takes Risks" I would give myself a PE (progressing towards expectations... only one step higher than Area of Concern).

I bought this shirt when my best friend was getting married and I was the maid of honor. I bought it as a reminder to myself that I needed to enjoy all of the pre-wedding madness. Plus, it was orange, like our dresses. (Don't groan, it was actually my suggestion, as we looked fabulous. Or at least I did, which really is all that matters.)

Now here I am, about to embark on what definitely will be the biggest journey of my life, both literally and metaphorically. I've travelled to Europe many times, but not beyond. And in all of my travellings, I've always been going to see people. This is the first time that I'll be on my own.

A good friend, when I told him my plans, said, "Some days will be hard." He just wanted to prepare me. I'm sure they will. I just need to keep reminding myself to cherish the journey.

Tomorrow the journey begins.

2 comments:

Jami said...

Hi. I'm proud of you - and maybe a little envious. I can't wait to hear all of your tales. I'm your #1 blog reading fan:) Be safe, have fun and cherish the ride...
Jami

Anonymous said...

Lucie,

Going on journeys in the past to see someone else; now perhaps you are going on your journey to see yourself in a new way. You are my hero. Chris